[Sca-cooks] buffet OED....

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Fri Jan 11 16:33:48 PST 2002

Buffet has a number of meanings...
there's the blow... that was mentioned...
that goes back to the 1220's.
--A low stool; a footstool. back to 1432..
the sideboard is later
 Buffet A sideboard or side-table,
 often ornamental, for the disposition
 of china, plate, etc.

1718 Hickes & Nelson J. Kettlewell
 ii. 32. 135
 The Plate..was placed upon a Table or Buffett.

This dates from the same era as when it meant--
2. A cupboard in a recess for china and glasses.
 A. 1720 Humourist 116 The Cat had got into the
 Beaufette among the Glasses.

I think the term SIDEBOARD... might be better...
a. A table (esp. for taking meals at) placed
towards the side of a room, hall, etc.
13.. E.E. Allit. P. B. 1398 Þenne was alle þe halle
 flor hiled with knytes, & barounes at þe side-bordes bounet
ay-where;
1470-85 Malory Arth. vii. v. 220
 The knyght..took hym vp and sette hym at
 a syde bord, and sette hym self afore hym.

But this means the table and not the food..

Johnnae llyn Lewis  Johnna Holloway