[Sca-cooks] Trying to find online spice seller

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 12 14:22:33 PST 2002

Mari / Susan Laing <gleep001 at hotmail.com>wrote:
>Can anyone point me towards an online spice seller that would have the
>following in stock -
>
>Spikenard
>Betal
>rose hips (Or dried rose buds)

Ah, ha, making atraf al-tib, i see.

-----

The place i shop in Berkeley has an on-line presence and sometimes
has things cheaper on line than in the store.

Lhasa Karnak
http://www.herb-inc.com/

The website is downright ugly. But I have purchased spikenard, rose
hips and dried red rose buds from them for food use. They guarantee
that their red roses are grown free of pesticides, herbicides, etc.,
and they are superb.

Be sure to ask about other vendor's roses, as they are generally not
grown as food but for potpourris and are sprayed to the max.

I don't see betel listed, but we have lots of Indian shops around
here... How much do you want?

-----

World Spice has a good selection of spices - including grains of
paradise, cubeb, and long pepper.
http://www.worldspice.com

They have rose hips listed under "leaf teas". I don't see spikenard,
rose buds, or betel listed on their website, but i'd suggest
e-mailing them. They could have some stuff that isn't listed...

-----

I am also planning to make some atrab al-tib and other than a list of
ingredients, one is sure flying blind. Please post your results to
the list, and i'll post mine...

Anahita