[Sca-cooks] period mashed turnips

Mark.S Harris mark.s.harris at motorola.com
Mon Jan 14 09:29:25 PST 2002

Anne replied to me with:
> Stefan li Rous wrote:
> >Could you please post the original recipe and your redaction here?
> >This might make a good alternative to armored turnips, although it
> >probably still tastes like turnips. :-(
> And that's a problem? I like turnips! Of course, I also like Brussels
> sprouts. As long as they are not over cooked.

Perhaps just a personal preferance, perhaps it's just that I've not
had turnips cooked right. But they've always had this bitterish
taste to them. Some have said that choosing only the smallest,
youngest turnips will minimize this. I've not tried making this
myself. It may also be that I'm really looking for a potato substitute.

Yes, liking Brussel sprouts could really schew your ideas of taste
away from mine. :-) I remember a traveler in Africa commenting that
introducing Brussel Sprouts to Africa was the worst thing the British
had ever done there.

> I got some turnips the other day, and went through your florifiles. Lots
> of turnip recipes! Then I looked more closely ... lots of armored
> turnips and rapes in pottage... many variations of both, but not much
> else. I'll probably try the second, but anyone have any suggestions for
> anything else?

Yep. That is specifically one of the reasons I asked for more details.

> I want to start actually cooking something, not just reading about it.

Good luck.

Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net