[Sca-cooks] lampreys

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Jan 14 18:01:50 PST 2002

Robin Carroll-Mann wrote:

 > On 14 Jan 2002, at 18:16, Mark.S Harris wrote:
 >

 >> We have eel recipes, and in fact in medieval times they seemed to
 >> have raised them in ponds much as we do catfish. Are there some
 >> period lamprey recipes?
 >>

 > Yes.  Nola, Platina, "An Ordinance of Pottage", "The Neapolitan Recipe
 >  Collection", "Forme of Cury"... and probably many others.

Okay, before this gets away from us... I was being... um... amusing at
the expense of the different accounts of the death of King John, some of
which refer to his suffering from a surfeit of peaches/apricots/with or
without ale as well, essentially super-dysentery... and according to
some others, having eaten too many lampreys. Or am I thinking of some
other English king?

It seemed like the right thing to do at the time...

Adamantius
--
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com