[Sca-cooks] Alkanet, was chicken plucking

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Jan 15 03:09:09 PST 2002

lilinah at earthlink.net wrote:

> Anahita
> who bought alkanet and red saunders last year at a *knitting
> convention*, because both are used as dyes for yarn, but i bought
> them to use in food...

Okay, I've just awakened, the tea is brewing, and here's what's going
through my unfortunate head. Between some fairly typical (and not
necessarily misguided) attitides on the Cooks' List, the above quoted
post, and a scene in a Steven Saylor novel I was reading last night in
which a character dies from drinking hemlock extract, one has to wonder:

A) if this was food-grade hemlock, what with all the hazards associated
with drinking non-food-grade hemlock

B) if these were food-grade yarn dyes...

This, too, shall pass... Okay, I feel better now. Sorry about any
misunderstandings that have, or will, occur.

Adamantius, about to drink his beverage-grade tea
--
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com