[Sca-cooks] Tips on Redactions

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Wed Jan 16 13:22:42 PST 2002

The obvious place to start is try several
medieval recipes that are already redacted/adapted
be they from printed cookbooks or the web.
Make copies, make notes, keep track of what went
right, what went wrong, learn how to tell a good
recipe from a bad one in the areas of cuisine that
you want to pursue. Along the way, Read everything
with regard to that cuisine that concerns the foods
and foodways of cultures and time period, so that you
have a good grasp of the history and place of the cuisine.
What changed over time and when did it change?
Unusual methods or ingredients? Investigate those before
you start. Get the appropriate dictionaries if needed.
Then start with the original recipes and work with them.
Think about working on groups of recipes, so that you
can apply what you learned on soup A to soup B to soup C.
Think about the final goals. Are you redacting these recipes
for publication, a feast at an event, a contest. etc?
Keep track and keep accurate records of what went right,
what went wrong.

There... does that give you a start...

Also see:
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/Redacting-art.html
""The Kitchen Wench Way: Redacting Recipes" by Caointiarn."
See also the other files on redacting.

A Google search on  the terms: redacting medieval recipes
has 201 hits. There's lots on the web to browse through for
ideas and methods. I am sure that Dame Selene will also
offer much guidance and direction.

Johnna Holloway  Johnnae llyn Lewis

 I'm interested in taking period recipes and figuring them out (doing