[Sca-cooks] cranberry wine

sjk3 at cornell.edu sjk3 at cornell.edu
Thu Jan 17 05:44:52 PST 2002

>>>Ok, so who/what is this "Jagendorf"? I assume this is some kind
>>>of referance volume on wines? written by Jagendorf?
>>
>>      "Folk Wines, Cordials, and Brandies," M.E. Jagendorf (New York:
>>Vanguard, 1963).  I don't remember where I got it, but couldn't resist,
>>even though I've never made wine.  It looked interesting, it was a
>>"cookbook" of sorts....

> So, what is your opinion of this book? How good is it compared to
> other similar works? Or are you using this particular one because
> this is the only one you have? Would you recommend it to someone
> looking for a general (not necessarily period) referance?

     I'm not really "using" it; I've never made wine.  I bought it
because it looked interesting, and has recipes for wine made from just
about every conceivable edible.  (Though I don't believe there's one for
cattails....)  More for reading than using.  So I'm afraid I can't really
review it.  The only other specific vinting/brewing book I have is Roger
Morse's book on mead, which I also have never used.  Sorry I can't be
more helpful!

Sandra Kisner
sjk3 at cornell.edu