[Sca-cooks] The Backyards of New York, was Nasty flavors-

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Jan 17 07:19:17 PST 2002

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net wrote:

>>Maybe one grew there *once*, but that book was from at least 75 years
>>ago, and i don't know if many have grown there since.
>>

> My mom's uncle owned and worked what she described as 'the last farm in
> Brooklyn' during her childhood, and she was born in the 40's. *smile*

I'm reminded of Herbert Asbury's description of Manhattan Island
through, say, the first quarter of the 19th century, as consisting of
New York City proper, which extended about as far as 42nd Street,
although those were definitely the outskirts of town, north of which was
"a howling wilderness" still inhabited by small numbers of Native
Americans, and at the northern end of the island, a lot of land still
owned by Dutch owners, which later became the property of Columbia
University.

New York is a pretty big place.

I'd be very curious to know about this "last farm in Brooklyn"; I know
there's an estate on the edge of Prospect Park which included some
arable land, and was worked fairly recently. I believe the land was
annexed to Prospect Park, and the house became sort of a historical
restoration museum.

The Queens County Farm Museum (its current name and function) never
stopped being a working farm. It's also quite old, I believe some
structures on it are from the seventeenth century, but the majority of
the buildings are nineteenth century. Except, of course, for the new
barn, which might be two years old.

Adamantius
--
Phil & Susan Troy