[Sca-cooks] Re: Backyards in NYC

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 17 10:17:18 PST 2002

>Now, I never had a yard. I grew up, quite happily, I may add, in a 15
>story apartment house. (We didn't miss a yard, but we did miss having a
>basement... Oh, for storage space!) As I said, a wide variety.
>
>Anne

This concept is so strange to me.  There is _no way_ I can even comprehend
this.  It seems so unnatural..so foreign..like a fiction.  What many kinds
of things have you never seen growing up?  A bird building a nest, a shrew
rustling in the leaves, a gecko on a warm rock, the white tail of the rabbit
leaping, the raccoon scurrying away from the trash.  You never played in
piles of raked leaves or played slip and slide in damp grass clippings?
Never fall out of a tree or skipped rocks on the pond?  I just can't fathom
someone not.  This is something that I will have to reflect on.
Olwen