[Sca-cooks] Tips on Redactions

Susan Browning swbro at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 17 11:55:36 PST 2002

----- Original Message -----

> On Thu, 17 Jan 2002, Susan Browning wrote:
>
> > My take on the pictures is that the hunting was for pleasure, not for
food.
> > Most notably, the bears were caged, and in much larger numbers than
would be
> > found in the wild.  Since bears are solitary animals, they would have
been
> > captured in advance, and released into the cage (arena?) for sport
killing.
> > If the pictures are accurate, the number of stags would also indicate
that
> > the animals were captured in advance, and released into a confined area.
> > Undoubtedly, the animals would have been used for food, but the actual
> > killing was for sport.
> >
> > Eleanor
> >

> From what evidence are you drawing this conclusion? No judgements, I'm
> just curious.
>
> Margaret

# 11 shows seven bears being killed.  Bears being solitary animals, you
would not see this number of animals within a days hunting range, even given
that one may be a mother with two yearling cubs.

#3 and # 2 are not conclusive, as it is unclear as to whether the cages are
completely enclosed.

# 5 however, indicates a completely enclosed circle, where the deer are
being killed.  The proportion of male to female indicate that there is more
than one herd of animals being hunted.

#12 states shows the interior of the hunting seat, which indicates that is
it a remote location designed primarily for hunting parties.

#4 Is badger edible?

Eleanor