[Sca-cooks] Re: Backyards in NYC

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 17 14:13:34 PST 2002

>I'm going to take this point by point...
>
>Olden the Odd wrote:
>
>>This concept is so strange to me.  There is _no way_ I can even
>>comprehend
>>this.  It seems so unnatural..so foreign..like a fiction.  What many
>>kinds
>>of things have you never seen growing up?
>>I just can't fathom
>>someone not.  This is something that I will have to reflect on.
>>Olden
>
>But, my turn...
>
>You couldn't just get on a bus and take yourself wherever you wanted to
>go (that your mom let you, of course) from the time you were about 12?
Between 2 and 5 no, lived on a farm.  Between 5 1/2 and 9 I lived here
http://community.silverlink.net/midway/Photos/Island/midway%2009.jpg
in a home quite like this one
http://community.silverlink.net/midway/Photos/Landmarks/midway%20cannons.jpg
Since the island is only two miles long, I could go everywhere by myself

>You never dropped into the Metropolitan Museum after school just because
>you liked to look at van Goghs? (My high school was 1/4 mile away.)
No.  We didn't have an interesting museum there but boy did we have birds!
We had pretty birds
http://community.silverlink.net/midway/Photos/Birds/fairy%20tern%2002.jpg
http://community.silverlink.net/midway/Photos/Birds/birds.jpg
Dancing birds
http://community.silverlink.net/midway/Photos/Birds/albatross%20-%20mating%20dance%201.jpg
We had flying birds
http://community.silverlink.net/midway/Photos/Birds/albatross%20-%20flying%202.jpg
and _really weird_ birds
http://community.silverlink.net/midway/Photos/Birds/frigate%20bird.jpg
We had baby birds
http://community.silverlink.net/midway/Photos/Birds/gooney%20chick%202.jpg
Cripes, we had birds
_EVERYWHERE_!!http://community.silverlink.net/midway/Photos/Landmarks/hanger%2004.jpg

>Your first music teacher didn't moonlight directing children's voices at
>City Opera? (She left us when the Met picked her up full time...)

Didn't have music till college. But did take hula, baton, tap, and ballet.

>You never climbed on the rocks in Central Park?
Went to the beach every day. And spent nights and whenever on that tiny
island at the top of the first picture.  Just kids, no adults.

>Your mom's idea of a fun family Saturday wasn't walking along the river
>to the UN, seeing the exhibits, browsing in the shops, and having an ice
>cream soda? Then walking home? (Well, we might take the bus if our feet
>hurt...)

Everyone rode bikes.  Really.  Everyone!  And on weekends (almost every
weekend) everybody who wasn't working would meet at the beach by the peirs
you can see in that first picture and have a (SEE! FOOD CONTENT!)barbque and
play sports or bingo and fish and swim and relax.

>You didn't watch on the first of April, at 11:00, for Sam the Good Humor
>Man to arrive for the summer? You could set a clock by him... When he
>retired, the whole neighborhood gave him a party. Moms who had bought
>from him as children were bringing their children...

Got to watch Santa arrive on a bomber!  The Easter bunny too.

>Your mom couldn't send you to the store to pick up something for dinner?
The store was this commissary
http://community.silverlink.net/midway/Photos/Landmarks/commissary.jpg
commissary
>I don't understand that, either... OK, those are not all typical
>experiences, but they were mine.

After we left Midway we stayed in California for a couple of years.  Then we
moved to Hawaii....What a place to be a teenager!

>Anne

Olwen