[Sca-cooks] Tips on Redactions

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 17 21:56:28 PST 2002

On 17 Jan 2002, at 15:09, Philippa Alderton wrote:

> I think Cariadoc is saying to use a modern cookbook as
> a jump-off point for dealing with foods in general- in
> other words, to learn at what temperature, for how
> long, a roast should be cooked to be medium rare, or
> that a teaspoon of salt is likely more appropriate for
> a pot of stew, than a cup or two ;-)

That's how I interpreted it -- and that's how I redact.  I am not an
intuitive cook, nor a vastly experienced one.  If I am redacting a
period recipe for lamb stew with cinnamon, then I might well
consult a modern Greek or Indian recipe to get a general idea of
how much cinnamon is appropriate to season n pounds of lamb.  I'll
make my own judgement about what tastes good, but consulting a
recipe gives me a range to work within.

Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
rcmann4 at earthlink.net