[Sca-cooks] Redaction Challenge - tardpolane

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Thu Jan 17 22:20:40 PST 2002

MD/Marged gave us her redaction and the original recipe for:
> <TARDPOLENE [custard tarts with fruit]. Here is another dish, which is
> called tardpolene. Take and combine flour and sugar, and mix into pastry
> with almond milk; make cases of this pastry two fingers in height; then
> take pears, dates, almonds, figs, and raisins, and put in liquid and
> spices and grind together; add egg yolk and a piece of good, soft
> cheese, not too old, and plenty of whole eggs; then put them [the pastry
> cases filled with the above mixture] to cook; brush the tops with egg
> yolk, then serve.>

Thank you for giving us your redaction and comments on this.

A while ago, I mentioned my preferance on feast menus that a
description of the food item be given, rather than just the original
name if it wasn't obvious to the usual feast goer. I wanted to point
out this one as an excellant example of this. I'm not sure if
Marged added the "[custard tarts with fruit]" comment or not. But
without it, or the recipe and sometimes even with the recipe, I'd
have no idea what a "Tardpolene" is/was.

Sometimes the modern words may not be an exact definition of what
the recipe calls for, but they are better than just the original
name.

   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net