[Sca-cooks] Birthday menu

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 18 06:33:16 PST 2002

>Olwen gave the menu for the upcoming Bright Hills Baronial Birthday
>Feast and said:
>
> > Day Board - Will need a server.
> > Bread
> > Cheese
> > Roasted Garlic
> > Dried Apples
> > Apple & Onion Soup
> > Cabbage & Sausage Casserole
> > Water
> > Sekunjabin
>
>Sounds like a very nice dayboard for a large group. Filling, yet
>simple with foods that are easy to make or maintain online for
>awhile.

Thank you.  We usually try to make a vegetarian and meat lovers so no one
goes without.

> > Feast
>
> > Casola de Carn (Lamb Casserole)
>
>Recipe for this one, please. Lamb is usually fairly expensive
>here. A casserole or pottage would spread it a bit further.

I will get the recipe for you, but you might have to remind me again.
Right now lamb is cheap so getting some and stocking it away is possibly a
good idea.

> > Dessert
> > Patina De Piris (Pear Soufflee)
> > Chocolate Covered Strawberries (not period but *very good and popular)
>
>Is the Pear Souffle period? I thought souffles were post-1600.
>If they're not, more details or recipes please. I thought souffles
>were difficult and tempermental to cook. Can they be done in
>a wood fired beehive oven? I guess so, since they are older than
>the 20th century, but...

This is the Patina De Piris from Aupicius.  It comes out rather like a
souffle so instead of some words that a new head cook is not accustomed to,
it is simplified.  It is a _very_ good dish!

>Or is this "Patina De Piris" not the puffed up, fragile egg
>dish that I thought souffles were?
>
>Stefan li Rous

Olwen