[Sca-cooks] Redaction Challenge - tardpolane

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Fri Jan 18 07:39:18 PST 2002

> That's Constance Hieatt's doing. I agree that it's helpful, and there's
> probably no getting around it, but in a way it's also kind of jarring,
> just another reminder that we're playing this as a game, rather than
> living it. But then, having a menu at all is, I suspect, just as jarring
> in that respect.

"We can't help it if even Quirmians can't understand restaurant Quirmian!"

> I mean, I can't see Duke Amadeus of Savoy getting up to leave a feast
> early, saying, "Come, my sweet, I still have time to catch the end of
> the  Redskins game if we hurry," and being told, "But Ammy dear, they
> haven't brought out the tardpolane yet, and you know how you love
> tardpolane!"

Well, no. But I can see the Duchess saying slyly to her server, "The Duke
is awfully fond of tardpolane and I can see some down at the other end of
the table. Do you think you could slip him some, even though it's too far
away to reach?" (Assuming they weren't eating at home, where they would
know the menu and have all the good stuff where it could be served to
them.)

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa