[Sca-cooks] Tips on Redactions

Mark.S Harris mark.s.harris at motorola.com
Fri Jan 18 13:28:00 PST 2002

Master Cariadoc said:
> I think the question was not modern cookbooks vs period cookbooks but
> ordinary modern cookbooks vs modern "period cookbooks" (_Pleyn
> Delite_, _Fabulous Feasts_, ...).

Yes, in my statements when I was referring to a period
cookbooks I was speaking of modern cookbooks with period recipes
and a modern cook's (preferrably one specializing in period food)
interpretations/redactions. I was not referring to the original
period publication itself. For someone trying to learn how to
redact a particular recipe, I'm not sure that the unannotated
text would be much help. Unless it was being used as later
mentioned, to compare to the other original recipe to try to fill
in the unmentioned or otherwise missing information.

I got chastised recently for using the word "manuscript" to
describe an original period printed cookbook. Is there a good
name to refer to the original cookbook, whether handwritten or
printed?

What about a modernly printed reproduction of either of these?
A facsimile? Or would "facsimile" only apply to a book with
photographs of the original cookbook? Cindy Renfrow's "A Sip
Through Time" comes to mind or Master Cariadoc's two volume
recipe set or Constance Hieatt's "Curye on Inglysch".

What about a modern cookbook based on and including the period
recipes but also including the authors (or others) redactions?
Master Cariadoc's Miscellany or Constance Hieatt's "Pleyn
Delit" come to mind.

What about a modern cookbook based on period recipes, but
not including copies of the original recipes? "Period style
cookbook"? I've got some at home, but precise titles escape
me right now.

Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net