[Sca-cooks] Almond milk

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sat Jan 19 21:01:51 PST 2002

Anne asked:
> I've seen that almond milk is used in any number of recipes. I've a
> question. Does this at all resemble commercial almond milk? Can that be
> substituted, if time is a factor? Is it different?  Or does it just make
> more sense to make your own, because you don't want a full quart, or
> it's expensive, or...
>
> I've never made it, (and I guess I have to find directions - grind 'em
> up with water and strain? Raw or roasted? In the florifiles if I'd
> thought to look before going off line and thinking up this question? In
> the Miscellany, ditto?) I've also only tried the commercial kind once,
> and learned that it doesn't set up as tapioca pudding - pity, sounded
> like a good idea- so I don't know what its properties are, either.

Well, since you posted this a while ago (I'm on the digest, so I
don't see things for a while. Yes, or from a distance. Hush), maybe
you've already been there. But this is the file in the Florilegium
about almond milk:
almond-milk-msg   (57K)  7/ 7/00    Making almond milk. Recipes. Deskinning nuts
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/almond-milk-msg.html

We have discussed commercial almond milk. I think some of those comments
are in this file. There are also a number of helpful hints.
   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net