[Sca-cooks] hearts of palm

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 19 21:42:12 PST 2002

On 19 Jan 2002, at 20:13, lilinah at earthlink.net wrote:

> So, with no real evidence to go on, but my own experience, i wonder if
> it was from a particular species of New World palm.
>
> I hope more information is divulged...
>
> Anahita

I found a mid 18th century account by a priest who was visiting the
region of the Orinoco River (in Venezuela).  He devotes a chapter to
the palm tree, and how the local Indians rely on it for food, drink,
furniture, building materials, and canoes.  He describes the
harvesting of the tree, and how the various products are removed.
The document in question is in Spanish, in the Virtual Cervantes
Library.  It's a bit long, and it is OOP, but if you can find a
translator, or if someone on the list would like to tackle it, it's at:
http://cervantesvirtual.com/FichaObra.html?portal=0&Ref=005293

Chapter IX is the pertinent one.

Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
rcmann4 at earthlink.net