[Sca-cooks] Payn pur-dew

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 23 10:22:42 PST 2002

Adamantius wrote:
>lilinah at earthlink.net wrote:
>  > I've been going over some of the various Pain Perdu recipes, since i'll
>  >  probably be cooking my non-period version at Estrella.
>
>I'm sorry; I have to ask... what's the connection between these two
>activities? Is it something like, let's see if my non-period version
>really is period after all, by coincidentally being similar to a period
>version,

Good grief! No! I may only have been in the SCA 2-1/3 years, but i
certainly know better than to "back document" stuff. (harumpf)

>or is it just that you're planning to make French toast at
>Estrella and just felt like researching period payn purdew recipes?

Nope. Not this either. I'm not making French Toast.

I make an historically accurate version of Pain Perdu (and there are
quite a few recipes among which to choose), with one change. I *hate*
crunchy sugar sprinkled on top, so instead i make a syrup out of the
ingredients that are usually sprinkled on top (sugar, saffron,
rosewater).

I like to let people know that the syrup is *not* part of any Pain
Perdu recipes i've read, and that there are numerous variant ways
Pain Perdu was made historically. Thus i want to understand this
recipe.

Not like most of the people i feed give a good gosh darn - most are
college student fighters - but *i* care about not spreading false
information.

Anahita