[Sca-cooks] Andalusian feast

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Thu Jan 24 21:31:15 PST 2002

Vittoria gave her menu and description of a feast she is doing in March:

> Each table is going to be set before the feast is served with little plates of olives, nuts, pickled vegetables, bread, and labneh ("yogurt cheese") with herbs ["shiraz bi-buqul" B12].  Possibly fresh herbs and veggies, if I can find that such a thing is appropriate.
>
> First course:
> Garlic chicken ["thumiyya" A8], or chicken with garbanzo beans ["safarjaliyya" A30]

I vote for the garlic chicken.

> Lamb meatballs with eggplant-yogurt dip ["buran" B8]
> Yogurt and cucumber salad ["qar bi-laban" B12]
> Fava beans with vinaigrette ["baqili b-khall" B13]
>
> Second course:
> Couscous ["kuskusu fityani" A55] with lamb and chicken [one of the "tharidas,"not sure which] and  vegetable stew ["jannaniyya" A52]
> Fried fish ["samak maqlu" B11], or fish cooked with fennel ["basbasiyya" A52]

Yes! There's not enough fish at SCA feasts.

> Sauteed spinach ["isfanakh mutajjan" B12]
>
> Third course:
> Lamb with turnips ["tharda of meat with turnips and walnuts" A31]
> Lentils ["muzawarra" A52]
> A spiced eggplant dish ["arnabi" A52, or "a dish of eggplants" A24]
> A cheese pie ["mujabbana" A22]
>
> Dessert:
> undecided - most likely something that involves sugar and almonds...
> Fresh and dried fruits

Two eggplant dishes? :-(

Although I guess the lamb meatballs can be eaten without the eggplant.

Okay, so I don't like eggplant.

> I have looked over some of these recipes more carefully than others, and we'll be starting to test them out this weekend.  Almost any of them could change :-)  I have only been to two SCA feasts, so I don't have a terribly clear idea of how much to serve, how long it should take, what dishes people will eat more of than others, etc.  I think the three courses will probably take 3-3 1/2 hours to serve, but there will be lots of entertainment and stuff, so I hope people won't get bored.  (I also hope this is enough food for them to be satisfied by the end of the meal, but not stuffed after the first couple of dishes.  I really have no idea how to judge something like that.)  If anybody has suggestions about such things, I'd be vastly appreciative :-)

Is there an experience feast cook in your area who might be able to act
as your advisor for some of this?

Some of the answers to your questions are likely to be pretty specific
to the kitchen facilities you have available, the traditions in your
area and maybe even Middle Eastern feasts.

There is some general suggestions and notes of things to watch for in
this file in the FEASTS section of the Florilegium:
headcooks-msg    (155K)  5/17/01    Advice for SCA headcooks. Planning feasts.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FEASTS/headcooks-msg.html

If nothing else, looking through this file might be reassuring since
might see a bunch of things pointed out which you've already planned for.

This file might have some useful stuff specific to the Middle East
that might be useful:
ME-feasts-msg     (20K)  5/19/99    Middle Eastern feasts. sitting, serving.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FEASTS/ME-feasts-msg.html

> I'd also like to have a little pamphlet available with all the recipes, their historical background, redactions, etc.  (There will likely be a sizeable contingent of non-SCA people from the campus, many of whom may not know anything about historical cooking...)  Is that often done at feasts? <

A good idea, especially with guests coming from outside the SCA. No,
I don't think it is done enough. Unless the redactions are done by
you, or you have permission, be careful of copyright infringement
when publishing other's redactions.

After you are through, if you are interested, I might be willing to
consider such a booklet for addition to the Florilegium.

I would recommend a list of ingredients for each dish. Not necessrily
in this booklet, but available for those who have allergies to be
able to check. I also like to have the menu available, preferable on
the table or in the booklet if it is available during dinner. This allows
folks to pace themselves. I like to think that this also helps to keep
folks from stuffing themselves on the first course since they know
there will be more.

Is the bread that you mention being on the tables, a flat bread? It
appears that such bread is often used in the Middle East to scoop up
many of these dishes. Or is this only done in some areas of the Middle
East? Anywsy, flat bread seems to be much more useful for this than
a raised bread.

   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net