[Sca-cooks] Re: [Sca-cooks]Fish was Question to the Group

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Fri Jan 25 20:43:13 PST 2002

There is an earlier work on angling..
see the 1496 edition of The Boke of St. Albans
for the earliest work on angling in English...
I discussed it last weekend in Colorado as it's
a probable source for the terms of a carver...
According to Wilson, trout are one of the fish
described in the Boke... so they were around at least
by that time.

As to research on fish, I suggest that
you should read C. Anne Wilson's chapter on
fish in Food and Drink in Britain. Also check out
Fish, Food from the Waters which was the Oxford Conference
in 1997. Alan Davidson's works on fish would be
available through interlibrary loan and individual
ones are covered in his Oxford Companion to Food.

Hope this helps...

Johnnae llyn Lewis  Johnna Holloway

Glenn Crawford wrote:>
> > Second: I am interested in serving some fish dishes.  Has anyone done the
> > research on which species are native to the region and actually used in that
> > time period? I am interested in both fresh and salt water fishes.

> Philip & Susan Troy suggested numerous ones... snipped....>
> I'm also surprised to see no reference (in a quick scan, anyway) to
> trout, which, for all I know, was introduced to English streams and
> waters after this time period. snipped......>
> You might enjoy a look at Izaak Walton's "The Compleat Angler" (Is that
> the title? I'm tired...). While post-period (contemporary to Pepys, the
> Great Fire of London, etc.), it has pretty comprehensive instructions
> for catching most of the freshwater English fish mentioned above.
 Adamantius