[Sca-cooks] Re: Wafers was

Jim and Andi icbhod at home.com
Sat Jan 26 07:35:21 PST 2002

There are completely period, unrefined sugars out there, but you'll have to
test any recipes you make with them. I have used gur before, it is unrefined
sugar cane sugar, it comes in blocks that you have to grate. It is
completely period, I can send documentation if you need it. You can get it
from Latin markets under the name "piloncillos" or in Indian and some ME
markets under the name "gur" or "black sugar". There's also "jaggery" which
is unrefined palm sugar and is mostly from SE Asia, but I have no idea how
you'd document it. Both have basically the same taste as brown sugar but not
the same smell. It's not unpleasant, but it may be one reason for Asian and
SE Asian sweets having aromatics in them like kewra, orange flower or rose.

Madhavi