[Sca-cooks] Persian, anyone?

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 27 04:12:12 PST 2002

Misha wrote:
>I must have missed Anahita's webpage posting so Anahita, can you post your
>webpage for moi and for anyone else who may want it? *eyes fluttering all
>pretty like*

The front page is:
http://witch.drak.net/lilinah

The recipe links are on
http://witch.drak.net/lilinah/diningniche.html

The recipes i have up are mostly ones i've cooked for feasts - the
original, my worked up recipe, and my comments - about ingredients,
procedure, problems, etc.

The Persian recipes are at:
http://witch.drak.net/lilinah/PersianChef.html

The Persian recipes are not from a Persian cookbook. Rather they are
recipes of Persian origin, judging by the linguistic origins of their
names and the ingredients involved, as recounted by al-Baghdadi or
al-Warraq, so there's no guarantee they are exactly as the Persians
originally cooked them.

For example, Buran, an eggplant dish, exists in many variations and
went through many changes. The version i cooked is, as far as i can
tell, from reading Charles Perry's essay and looking at a number of
recipes, likely to be rather different from the original. However,
the use of yogurt in the dish appears to be Persian or of Persian
origin.

But they are as close as we can come to Medieval Persian food,
barring the discovery and translation of an actual Medieval Persian
cookbook.

Anahita