[Sca-cooks] flatbreads

A F Murphy afmmurphy at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 27 11:02:14 PST 2002

You know, I've been curious about that. Did the whole wide variety of
baking soda breads, muffins, biscuits etc. just magically appear when
someone refined (or whatever) soda? Or was it based on something, and,
if so, what? Or have we any idea at all? Especially because the chemical
leavenings seem most popular in areas with soft lower-gluten wheat
(Ireland, the American South) which never did rise well with yeast. What
did people do?

Anne