[Sca-cooks] Re:Trout & Salmon was Question to the Group

Nanna Rögnvaldardóttir nannar at isholf.is
Sun Jan 27 17:29:04 PST 2002

Bear wrote:

> "Salmon trout" is a generic term for several different lake and sea trout.
> Among those commonly referred to by the term are Salvalinus namaycush, the
> Mackinaw trout, and the steelhead, an anadromous variety of Salmo
gairdneri,
> the rainbow trout.

I´m sure that´s correct American usage but I believe that in England, salmon
trout is usually or always Salmo trutta, AKA sea trout, and the term is used
for the sea-migrating varieties of the fish. The reason for the pink color
of the flesh is the crustaceans the fish feeds on while in the sea. I've
read somewhere that cultured salmon and salmon trout are sometimes fed
paprika to color their flesh.

Here in Iceland, we call salmon trout that has just returned from the ocean
to the rivers "sjóbirtingur" (sea-bright); the flesh is pink in color.

The Salvalinus are char rather than trout.

Nanna
(freezing back home in Iceland)