[Sca-cooks] Festival of the Rose: Menu

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Jan 27 22:35:17 PST 2002

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa said:
> > I still haven't made up my mind.  I hate secunjebin
> > and I am told that the Queen only drinks diet sodas or
> > coffee.  Not exactly period, although I am debating
> > about buying ginger beer and root beer, which are
> > marginal and comes in diet forms for her.  Otherwise,
> > I probably will have apple juice and water available
> > for the rest.  Any other suggestions?
>
> Unsweetened herb tea would be a lot more period.

Maybe. I'm not sure we have that much info on these being drunk in
period, other than perhaps medically. I have one small file, but I'd
love to see more. Also, I wonder if such herbal teas or infusions
would have been drunk at a feast. I suspect it would be like
plain water, drunk occasionally especially if the only thing around,
but not something you would offer guests at a feast, lest you be
thought stingy.

infusions-msg     (19K) 11/27/00    Period infusions. Herbal "teas". Barley tea.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/BEVERAGES/infusions-msg.html

I have found barley tea available in an ethnic store. However, it
doesn't sound like this Queen would find it acceptable.
   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net