[Sca-cooks] Cinnamon

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Mon Jan 28 06:30:42 PST 2002

> Most of what I know about allergies is stuff I've learned from this
> group. However, there are two types of cinnamon, true cinnamon and
> cassia. Both were used in the Middle Ages. Do you know if you are
> allergic to both types? In the United States, Cassia is by far, the
> most common.

Er.. if it's severe allergy, she probably wants to stay away from both
types, as they are closely related.

One spice that gives a somewhat similar impression to foods is the
non-period allspice berry, and it's from the New World so that might be
something to try in one's own cooking instead of cinnamon. (Especially
with apples).

Nutmeg (not the fresh-ground but older stuff that you buy powdered in
the store), cardamom, ginger, and cloves are all spices that our modern
palate thinks of as in the same category as cinnamon, also.