[Sca-cooks] Morella cherries

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 28 08:50:21 PST 2002

From: "Debra Hense" <DHense at ifmc.org>
>Does anyone know when they come into season?   Can they be obtained in the US?
>I have a produce manager lined up who may be willing to order them.
>
>I'm looking at a late April/Early May timeframe for the german feast
>I am planning.

I've never seen them fresh, or if i did, i didn't know they were
Morellos. I usually buy them bottled in light syrup.

When the store where i usually buy them ran out, i bought Morello
cherry jam that had huge whole cherries in it (it was imported) for
the mostly German Boar Hunt i did in December. I mixed the cherries
and the jam together. All the recipes that used them involved cooking
them with sugar anyway - not quite the same i realize, but better
than other canned cherries.

I recently found real Morello cherry syrup at the Persian market.
Beats the heck out of the Italian Torani cherry syrup on wonderful
flavor, and it isn't that icky artificial bright red either, another
plus.

Anahita