[Sca-cooks] black sugar

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Mon Jan 28 22:58:15 PST 2002

Madhavi asked:
> I'm not sure they used unrefined sugar in Persia... if they did, I've never
> seen any reference to it. They didn't use it in North India, and it wasn't
> traded as far as I know. Refined white sugar was traded extensively with
> Persia, though. Although I don't know how white it actually was, it's always
> called white sugar in my books. In India, only poor people used unrefined
> jaggery or unrefined cane sugar, or they fed it to horses... maybe it was
> closer to that stuff you can buy called...ummm... it starts with a "t"... I
> can't remember the name but it's light brown but it's crystals like white
> sugar... Turbinado!!!
>
> Comments, opnions, anyone..? This is guesswork on my part.

Yes, Turbinado is one of the various modern sugars that we've
discussed here as a possible equivalent to some period sugars.

This file I has more info, I think:
sugar-sources-msg (16K)  6/13/01    Modern sugar sources. Sugar types.

Although I may have left those comments in the sugar-msg file.

They fed the unrefined suga to horses? Or the sugar cane? Or really
just what remained after crushing the sugar cane?

   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net