[Sca-cooks] Food Safety while cooking

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 29 13:47:57 PST 2002

>I'm teaching a class at the next Atlantian University called "How Not to
>Make Your Friends Sick," which is going to talk about how to operate a meal
>plan for a group encampment.  I'd like to hit the high points on food
>handling safety.
>
>The things I know I want to tell people thus far focus on:
>
>(1) Safe meat handling and storage (the "four hours total" rule; separate
>knives and cutting boards)
>
>(2) How to wash dishes so people don't get sick (hot/hot/bleach; getting
>all
>the soap off)
>
>(3) Allergies vs. preferences, and some discussion about how to handle the
>one versus the other.
>
>Are there any other key items that folks would pitch in?  Things you wish
>you had known?
>

>=Cait

You might add in, in the wash section, washing table tops and other surfaces
and cleaning rags in bleach water.  Perhaps also mention that if something,
like a soup or stew etc. is cooking for a looong time to be sure to wash and
rinse the stirring spoon between use.  Oh, and if there is leakage or spills
in the coolers to empty those and wipe out with bleach water and rinse.
Olwen