[Sca-cooks] The rock

sjk3 at cornell.edu sjk3 at cornell.edu
Wed Jan 30 07:58:42 PST 2002

On Wed, 30 Jan 2002, Dunbar, Debra wrote:

> Actually the answer is 49.  And we once named a cat 49.
>
>> I'm not Stefan, but I believe the answer is "64." <beg>
>> --Maire, long-time Hitchhiker fan....
>>
>> A F Murphy wrote:
>>>
>>> Do you have the answer to the Meaning of Life?  You seem to have
>>> everything else! ;-)

    Actually, the answer is 42.  There's a bit of corroboration (besides
hearing Valentine Dyall's voice in my head saying "You're not going to
like this.  You're really not going to like this").  I have trouble
keeping the radio, TV, and book versions straight, but in at least one of
them, when the B ark lands and Ford and Arthur are trying to figure out
what's going on, they try grabbing Scrabble letters out of a bag.  The
results spells "What do you get when you multiply six by nine?"  The
answer *is* 42 - - in base 13.  "I always knew there was something
fundamentally wrong with the universe."

Sandra, purveyor of useless knowledge
sjk3 at cornell.edu