[Sca-cooks] Re: flaming food - was post period was Festival

Cindy M. Renfrow cindy at thousandeggs.com
Wed Jan 30 08:40:40 PST 2002

>I think flaming foods can make great theatrics. I'd just like to
>find out if they are even close to period.

Hello!  (Pardon if this repeats a previous reply.) Yes, setting food alight
with alcohol or camphor is in period.  Here are a few examples. Does anyone
have more?

Forme of Cury, c. 1390 English - #189 "Chastlet9... su-e it forth wt ew ardant"

Du fait de cuisine, by Master Chiquart, 1420 #5 ...heads of boars endored
and armed and with banners and spitting fire...And to give understanding to
the master cook who has the charge concerning the said heads to make them
give and cast out fire from the throat, take a double wicked candle and
wrap it all around with cotton which should be soaked in fine ardent
spirits and purified with a little camphor."

Ew ardant & ardent spirits are ethyl alcohol.

Regards,

Cindy