[Sca-cooks] Re: candied almonds

Vincent Cuenca bootkiller at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 30 08:55:33 PST 2002

>The _Libre de totes maneres de confits_ has a recipe for preserved
>almonds.  They are soaked (with periodic boilings) in a honey
>syrup for 8 days.  This would make them very sweet, but not sugar-
>coated.

There are similar instructions for almonds candied in sugar syrup, but
nothing approximating Jordan almonds.  The turrons are excellent, though,
and dead easy to make.  As our good Master Thomas has said, though, not all
the information is in yet. :-)  The techniques used in _Libre de Totes
Maneres de Confits_ produce either items preserved in syrup or made into
nougats.  There's nothing about candied spices, though there are recipes for
medicinal pastilles, marzipans, fritters, and incense.

>(Note to the rest of the list: the _Libre_ is in Catalan, and there is
>no English translation.)

Not yet, anyway.  I will be remedying that sooner or later. *smirk*  I
already have a draft translation into English, from Faraudo de St. Germain's
transcription. Master Thomas (que en buen ora nació) has just FedExed me
photocopies of the original MS.   Hooboy this is gonna be good fun.
*smirksmirk*

Vicente
(in food geek heaven)