[Sca-cooks] pate

Gorgeous Muiredach muiredach at bmee.net
Thu Jan 31 08:20:35 PST 2002

>So, do all pates have liver in them? If not, what is the
>differance between a "pate" and a "spread"?

Not all pates have liver.  It seems that pates have meat in them, while
spreads don't always do.  Seems to me it's mostly a way to call
things...  Spreads meant to be spread over something, like bread.  Pates
can be spread but aren't necessarily meant to be...  <shrug>

Of course, if you look at what a "classic" French pate is, you'll see that
it is cooked in some dough or other, usualy within a dish giving it the
squarish/rectangularish typical shape.  Over time, we've come to call pate
anything that has the inside texture/ingredients, without the actual
dough.  A little like we call sausage even just the "stuffing" sold in bulk
without the casing.

Gorgeous Muiredach
Rokkehealden Shire
Middle Kingdom