[Sca-cooks] Duck bones, and other parts

Philippa Alderton phlip_u at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 31 10:50:43 PST 2002

--- Gorgeous Muiredach <muiredach at bmee.net> wrote:

> I'll have to show you at Pennsic :-)  We can use our
> bones after the
> butchering class <smile>

Let's try this again....

Actually, Muiredach, we tried to do that when we
butchered the lamb, but Stefan didn't realize that
making good stock is time consuming, rather than
labor-intensive, and wandered off to his usual round
of classes, not reappearing until shortly before it
was time to go to the Cook's Potluck.

What I had intended to have him do is make two stocks,
one with roasted bones, one with raw bones, so he and
any other newish cooks could compare the two, and so
that we could use the stocks in our own presentations.
But, it was a miscommunication, and it didn't quite
work out as I had planned.

I think that if you do make stock, making both would
be a good idea. While the roasted bone stock is richer
and more robust for soup and stew bases, the milder,
more delicate unroasted stock has its uses too, in
more delicate dishes. Suspect it's always a good idea
to expose newer, and even experienced, cooks, to taste
comparisons of every reasonable variant of a base
technique.

Phlip

who loves teaching Stefan almost as much as she loves
teasing him. Ah, Hell, might as well admit it, I love
Stefan, he's such a good friend ;-)

=====
Never a horse that cain't be rode,