[Sca-cooks] Numbers, pates, and spreads...

Elaine Koogler ekoogler011 at home.com
Thu Jan 31 12:35:27 PST 2002

I was under the impression (I think, from the Frugal Gourmet) that the
difference was one of texture...a pate being a paste-like substance, whereas
a terrine has more of a ground texture...like a meatloaf.  I've been making
what I had thought was a terrine for a number of years now...beef, pork and
beef liver ground together and mixed with egg, brandy and other seasonings.
The recipe is one I created by looking at several different terrine recipes.
I was also under the impression that "en croute" was the term for something
baked in a crust...like the wonderful pork roast with stuffing baked en
croute a friend served this past weekend!

Kiri