[Sca-cooks] Re: The Rock

Diamond Randall ringofkings at mindspring.com
Thu Jan 31 18:54:52 PST 2002

[ Converted text/html to text/plain ]

Stefan wrote:
>Anyway, we shall see if he writes me back and whether something
>productive can come from this. I specifically mentioned the Birch
>bark writings that have been found which, as far as I've heard,
>have never been translated into English. Maybe they are available
>there in Russian.

Actually, a rather large number of them have been translated into English as
the Soviet Union archaeological groups often published their results in books
with both Russian and English texts.  Apparently, sales of these books outside
of the old USSR helped fund their expeditions greatly.   The birch bark
writings are mainly from the Novgorod region, which is the city from which my
persona hails.  The vast majority of them are, alas, comparable to our
shopping lists and personal short letters similar to "can you send me the grey
wool shirt and the brown fur hat I forgot to bring with me?" or "The dogs
killed 21 of Ivan Revenvits' chickens and he wants to be paid for them! Send
money.".  So far, there has been no discovery of any permanent book types
written on birch bark and no recipes either.  They have these by the ton
however as the acidity of the soil has preserved them perfectly in middens.  Who
knows what may come to light, but don't get your hopes for early (800-1200
C.E.) Russian recipes too high.

Akim Yaroslavich
"No glory comes without pain"

--- Diamond Randall