[Sca-cooks] Southern Regional Cooking contest

Jones, Craig Craig.Jones at airservices.gov.au
Wed Jul 3 17:09:05 PDT 2002

In a message dated 7/3/2002 1:17:16 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
kingstaste at mindspring.com writes:

>     I'd like to hear more about the dayboard.  We are planning one for our
> upcoming Baronial 30th Anniversary event, and the gentleman in charge is
> open for lots of ideas at this point.

The dayboard consisted of pickled hard-boiled eggs made with cider vinegar,
brown sugar, dill, and tarragon; Compost, from Forme of Cury; individual-size
Pie of Parys tarts made in little foil cupcake liners; small pasties of the
so-called Icelandic Chicken (made with diced chicken and bacon and ground
sage); dill pickles; plain hard-boiled eggs; fresh cherries and cantalope
slices; and a small amount of bread and honey-butter, served with Syrup of
Lemons.  The tarts and pasties were served cold for the most part, although
there were some being made during the time the dayboard ran, so I'm sure some
got eaten warm as well.

If you do the pasties and tarts, set up a production line to do them; we had
a hard time getting enough done because we really only could manage one
person to cut/form the dough and one to fill them.

The Compost redaction we used was Ras', which should be in the Florilegium;
the Pie of Parys redaction was the one from Pleyn Delit; and we didn't really
do one for the Icelandic chicken - I'd guess we used about 1 pound of bacon
to 4 or 5 pounds of parboiled diced chicken, and added about a teaspoon or
two of rubbed sage and a little salt.  The dough used for both pastries was a
basic pastry recipe using flour, a mixture of butter and Crisco, water, and a
little salt.  We could probably has used wonton wrappers for the pasties, but
I didn't think of it until we were halfway done.

Brangwayna
who will be writing up the details of the feast one of these mornings...