[Sca-cooks] Kelp

Christine Seelye-King kingstaste at mindspring.com
Thu Jul 4 09:25:49 PDT 2002

Sorry it took me so long to reply on this one.  I wanted to check with the
Herb Dept. Manager at work before I answered.  He and I talked about the use
of kelp as a salt substitute for High blood pressure concerns.  We both felt
that because of the types of salts present (not just sodium is salty, there
are other salts that occur in the ocean) and the other minerals present make
the uptake easier to deal with in the body, and the balance better for our
metabolism.  Also, the presence of vegetable matter along with the vitamins
(alaria is the only really good non-meat source of B-12, for example) cuts
down on the actual salts that you are taking in.  Basically, by using kelp
or other sea vegetables as a salt substitute, you are making it easier on
your body to process, similar to eating less refined forms of sugar vs. the
granulated, processed white stuff.
Of course, I would start slowly, read books like Nutrition Almanac or
Cooking with Sea Vegetables, and other nutrition sources before jumping into
a change.
Good luck,
Christianna