[Sca-cooks] Snow & Shnay

Seton1355 at aol.com Seton1355 at aol.com
Fri Jul 12 17:30:10 PDT 2002

I am looking through my mother's copy of
_Yiddish Cuisine: A Gormet's Approach to Jewish Cooking_
by Robert Sternberg.
I came across this recipe for *Shnay*, which is Yiddish for snow. It put me
in mind of the medieval recipe for *snow*. Even though the recipes are
different, I herewith, share this recipe:
*****Schney*******
Schney is the Yiddish word for snow. Schney is another type of fruit puree
pudding that was popular in Litteh (a place).  Similar dishes are made in
Russia and Scandinavia.  Schney is made with egg whites and it has the
appearance of colored snow, hence its name.

Strawberry Scheny
4 C fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
1/2 C vanilla sugar or 1/2 C sugar and 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1 C freshly squeezed orange juice
1 T Grand Marnier
2 egg whites

Disolve sugar into the orange juice in a saucepan.
Bring to a boil.
Add the strawberries and cook until the fruit disintigrates.
Pass the fruit through a fine sieve into a mixing bowl. Press down
         hard to remove as much fruit as possible.
Stir in the Grand Marnier and cool to room temperature.
Beat the eggs into stiff peaks and fold this into the fruit puree.
Spoon the Schney into individual serving cups & cover.
Chill for at least 2 hrs.

Apple Schney
2 lbs tart green apples, peeled, cored and cut into chunks.
1 C cold water
2/3 C sugar
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
2 egg whites
1 T calvados or brandy
1 T sugar mixed with 1/4 tsp cinnamon

Place apples, sugar, spices and water into a saucepan and bring to a boil
over med heat.
Cook 25 - 30 minutes or until the fruit is completely cooked through.

Puree the contents of the saucepan in a blender or food processor and pass
through a seive into a mixing bowl.
Stir in the liquer or brandy and cool to room temperature.
Beat the egg whites until stiff and fold into the apple puree.
Place into individual serving bowls and and chill for 2 hrs.
To serve, mix together the sugar and the cinnamon and sprinke over each
portion of schney.

And , now just to refresh your memories, here is the recipe for medieval Snow:
In the name of the Holy  Trinity I, Sabina Welserin, begin this cookbook. God
grant me His holy grace and wisdom and understanding and judgment with which
I through His Holy will live  here in this time and  with Him forever. Amen.
anno 1553

55 To make snow

Dilute cream and put it in a pot. And take an eggbeater and stir it
thoroughly, until it forms snowy foam on top. And toast a Semmel and lay it
in a bowl and sprinkle sugar over it and put the foam on the bread, then it
is ready.

56 To make filled Semmel

Then cut slices, as if you would fry them, and spread syrup over them, sugar
and spices as you would like to have it. And turn them in a batter made from
egg yolks and fry them and cut small slices from them or serve them whole.