[Sca-cooks] Re: Sca-cooks digest, Vol 1 #2146 Tomatoes

Elizabeth A Heckert spynnere at juno.com
Mon Jul 15 08:33:56 PDT 2002

On Sun, 14 Jul 2002 12:00:05 -0500 sca-cooks-request at ansteorra.org
writes:
>Message: 1
>From: Bronwynmgn at aol.com
>Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2002 09:45:31 EDT
>Subject: Re: [Sca-cooks] Any late Italian evidence for tomato usage

>I know she's already found at least one of them, as she sent the link
>to me,
>but I've passed them on anyway.  Thanks, Stefan!
>
>Brangwayna

     Has anyone discussed   the produce in the painting *Summer* (painted
1563) by Giuseppe Arcimbaldo (1527-1593).  There is an image of it at:

http://www.abcgallery.com/A/arcimboldo/arcimboldo2.html

     The image on my computer screen is harder to see than the 15 year
old postcard I have of the image.  Above the cherries and below the
raspberries/blackberries is a fruit that looks like a plum tomato to me,
albeit a golden one.  I have not seen modern yellow plum tomatoes, and I
don't  know the shapes of old varieties--I am interested in Northern
Europe, and am content to think of the tomato as out of period for what I
do.

    Elizabeth