[Sca-cooks] Pennsic fire safety

Mark S. Harris stefan at texas.net
Tue Jul 16 23:58:37 PDT 2002

Phlip commented:
> I'm not the least afraid of fire- I'm a smith and a
> cook, for Heaven's sake, but I dislike the potential
> danger. I strongly suspect one of these Pennsics,
> we're going to have a very nasty fire situation on our
> hands. So far, we've been lucky, only lost a few
> tents, and no serious injuries. But I'm aware of a few
> more close calls than most people are, and as Camp
> Master, my feeling is, that I can't control anyone
> else's camp, but I can bloody well make mine as safe
> as possible.

Although I don't have the big fear of a fire that Phlip does, I've

seen some folks do some real stupid things at Pennsic.  And
unfortunately, I am not the only one. For a number of years,
Baron Durr would post what he found at Pennsic on the Rialto.
Baron Durr is mundanely a fireman. He really didn't want to see
any of his friends burned as such as he has had to deal with in mundane
life.

For anyone who is interested in a behind the scenes look at
Pennsic or just like horror stories or more precisely potential
horror stories, check these files in the Florilegium. Yes, they
are dated now, but I'm not sure things have changed much in the
meantime, except that Pennsic has gotten larger.

P19-fire-rpt.art  (12K)  9/ 1/90    Baron Durr's fire report for Pennsic XIX.
P23-fire-rpt      (27K)  9/30/94    Baron Durr's fire report for Pennsic XXIII.
P24-fire-rpt      (27K) 11/ 9/95    Baron Durr's fire report for Pennsic XXIV.

And to balance this, see these files:
Fire-Book-art    (739K) 12/28/00    Baron Durr's Guide to Safe Fire Use.

http://www.florilegium.org/files/PENNSIC/Fire-Book/Fire-Book-art.html

Fire-Book-no-pics (23K)  1/12/96    Baron Durr's Guide to Safe Fire Use. (with
                                       pictures removed for easy file transfer.)

http://www.florilegium.org/files/PENNSIC/Fire-Book-no-pics.html

*Please* feel free to post the links to the Fire-Book files to any
lists that might take heed of this. Oh, and the Guide was illustrated
by William Blackfox.
    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net