[Sca-cooks] language

Louise Smithson helewyse at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 17 21:19:04 PDT 2002

Apollonia asked where I learnt Italian.
The short answer is that I was a cruel victim of an EU
plot to encourage understanding.  As a second year BSc
(Microbiology) student I was transferred to Bologna,
Italy to study Microbiology for a year.  A total
language immersion thus ensued.  It was learn Italian
or struggle.  My roomates were Italian, the classes
were in Italian, the books were in Italian (you get
the picture).  I spent 9 months living in a language
and kind of picked it up as I went along.
There is no faster way to learn a language, children
do it all the time, it just takes a little longer as
an adult.
Helewyse de Birkestad