[Sca-cooks] Cornbread....Dumplings

LyAngharad at aol.com LyAngharad at aol.com
Thu Jul 18 06:16:43 PDT 2002

>If anyone can give
>direction, knows of a family recipe, etc. Please...share?
>Molli Rose
_________
I almost always make cornmeal dumplings when I make stew.  My recipe is from
"Stillmeadow Kitchen" by Gladys Taber, Macrae Smith Company, Philadelphia,
copyright 1947.

Cornmeal Dumplings
Sift together 1 cup cornmeal, 1/4 cup bread flour (this recipe was before the
bread machine flour now available!), 1 teaspoon baking powder, and 1/2
teaspoon salt.  Add 1 beaten egg and 1/2 cup milk.  Finally stir in 1
tablespoon melted butter. Cook as above.  'As above' reads:  Drop by small
spoonfuls into boiling stew.  Cover at once and cook 10 minutes.  The size of
the dumplings determines the cooking time.  If you make small bite-size ones
8 minutes is enough.  If you make large ones, you may cook them 20 minutes.)

Personal note:  I usually 'test' them with a toothpick as for baked stuff.
Also, these make rather dry, coarse dumplings.  I sometimes use more flour
and less cornmeal, making the two add up together to 1 1/4 cups dry
ingredients.

Hope this helps!

Angharad (mostly lurking on the list!)
Barony of Namron, Ansteorra