[Sca-cooks] menu for Aug 12th translated plus notes on a few other questions

Louise Smithson helewyse at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 18 06:39:26 PDT 2002

Margali wrote: Neat - now if we can get it translated,
we might have it for dinner next pennsic for Phlip's
birthday...

Antipasti
Prune damaschine, fichi brogiotti, fegato in
picchiante, crostate di ceruella, schiena di vitella,
uva [? word unclear] pizzutella, & limoni trinchianti

Antipasti:
Damask plums, purple figs (a specific variety), liver
in stew, pies of either brain:cervello or hind:cerva
(I think perhaps the later), back (loin)of veal,
a variety of dessert grapes with long pips (yes that
is what it says), and lemons cut small

Allesso
Vitella amedine, anadre stufate alla Pollacca, salami,
minestra di melloni, sauor di noci bastardo

Boiled course
Veal Amedine (no translation found, name of dish),
duck stewed in the Polish style, salami, soup (or
dish) of melons, relish/sauce of bastard nuts

Fruta
Cascio marzolino, pere ricciarde, noci in uin rosso,
azerole, & finocchio

Fruit
Marzolino cheese, pears with a sienese sweetstuff (?
ricciarello? closest I could find), walnuts in red
wine, medlars and fennel.

castron is not eunochs it is correctly translated as
Wethers killed for cooking.  Wethers are castrated
male sheep that are allowed to age (not lamb no more)
but are castrated to keep the ram behavior down.
Salami: I have no idea what Salami was like in Italy
at this time.  Even today what you eat as Salami
depends on who made it.  Many people in the south keep
pigs then kill and cure their own.  I spent many a
happy hour in Italy happily eating the results of this
home curing, every ones "Salami" was different.
Especially as most of the pigs were originally given
names (Here have a taste of Sadie!).  I don't have
time to hunt up a recipe in the text, but if someone
wants to go hunting it up, I'll have a crack at
translating it.
Fennel: Yes fennel bulb has a short harvest time,
which is why it's appearance at all times of the year
leads me to believe that it is fennel seeds that are
confited.  Which would tie with many other menus of
the period in other countries where confits were
served at the end of the meal.

Just a little more for you to digest.

Helewyse

btw each one of these menus takes me about 15 minutes
to translate to the best of my ability.  Currently I
don't have access to my 16th Century Italian
dictionary which is why I am still missing some words.
 It is on the computer at work and I am on vacation.