[Sca-cooks] Roman Baker's Mark photo

david friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Sat Jul 20 16:20:23 PDT 2002

'Lainie wrote (about a month ago):

>If you put it underneath it's obliterated during baking. Baker's stamps (at
>least to my knowledge) in the MA were done on top. I'll bet Bear has more
>info though...

My understanding of baker's marks (this is from memory from talking
with Wulfric the Mad Baker/Jeremy Fletcher of the West Kingdom) is
that the baker's mark is a little lump of some shape, that being the
shape you want imprinted in your bread, and you put it under the loaf
while it bakes; when you take the loaf out of the oven and remove the
baker's mark, its shape is baked into the bottom of the bread.

Elizabeth/Betty Cook