[Sca-cooks] Salat

Marilyn Traber marilyn.traber.jsfm at statefarm.com
Mon Jul 22 10:48:21 PDT 2002

I don't particularly like dry salad.

I also don't see using the herbs as part of a vinaigrette dressing, per se.
It is a salat of green leaves plucked off from their stems, torn as needed
to bite sized bits, dressed with oil and 'garnished' with vinegar and salt.

Although I don't see chopping the 'herbal' ingredients into herbs suitable
for vinaigrette dressing. I might infuse the rosemary into the vinegar or
oil in a non-period manner [I don't like eating pine needles either!] and
simply remove the leaves from the stems and gently toss with oil in a bowl,
and serve the separate vinegar and salt or if it were to my table at home
drizzle on teh vinegar and salt and toss for serving.

margali

the quote starts here;
Modern English:  Take parsley, sage, green garlic, spring onions, onions,
leek, borage, mint, young leeks, fennel and garden cress, rue, rosemary,
purslane;  lave and wash them clean, pick them over.  Pluck them small with
your hand and mix them well with raw oil; lay on vinegar and salt, and serve
it forth.

While it appears from the recipe that the oil and vinegar were added
directly
to the salat before it was served; I choose to mix the oil, vinegar, salt,
garlic, and some of the other herbs (usually the sage, as I've had people
concerned about what the "fuzzy stuff" in the salat was, and the rosemary,
as
a lot of people don't care to chomp down on a pine needle...) separately and
provide it in a small cup, so people can use the amount of their choice,
including none if they so desire.  This is one of my ways of working around
the allergy thing - if there is something in the dressing that someone
doesn't want, they can still eat the greens dry if they choose.

Brangwayna