[Sca-cooks] Viking food URL

Philippa Alderton phlip_u at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 25 19:14:28 PDT 2002

Luveday published this interesting URL on MK Cooks
List, and I'm passing it along with my comments.

Phlip

Luveday skrev:

> A friend sent me this link to a site dealing with
Norse foodstuffs in
> period, and I just needed to share it with the rest
of the gang:

http://www.geocities.com/ravensteadhousehold/rsnorsefood.htm

> >From the website:
>
> "There is much debate about the foods Vikings ate.
The truth is, nobody
> knows exactly what they ate and how they prepared
it.  All we can do is
look
> at what foodstuffs were available during that time
and - together with
> archaeological record of presumed cooking implements
and preserved edible
> items - try to draw reasonable conclusions. "
>
> Enjoy!

If you want to see some of the implements they used,
go to:

http://www.netlabs.net/~osan/

Commentary is at:

http://www.geocities.com/mastermyr/catalog.html

I'm signed up to reproduce the griddle for the museum
collection, and I'm
going to be making two copies of the grill for my own
purposes- one out of
mild steel for practice and use, and one out of pure
iron for A & S.

It's an interesting project, done mostly by mundane
smiths, although the
chest was reproduced by a Laurel out in Colorado
(absolutely beautiful
job!!!) and a couple other pieces were done by closet
SCAdians ;-)

> Luveday
> (wadda ya mean we leave for Pennsic in two weeks!  I
need more time!)

Whaddaya mean we've got two weeks? I'm leaving Tuesday
AM to stop in Ohio
for camping gear, then arriving on Thursday to help
with set up and Land
Grab

Phlip

=====