[Sca-cooks] green leafy things

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Tue Jul 2 09:17:41 PDT 2002

At 08:48 AM 7/2/02 -0500, you wrote:
>So when I was at the grocery store this weekend, I bought a green leafy
>thing because it looked interesting. It's not lettuce. It looks vaguely
>like the rich upscale classy version of kale--lighter green, very curly
>ruffled leaves, leatherier than lettuce but not quite as heavy as kale. It
>wasn't labelled. It tastes slightly bitter and green.
>
>Anyone have a clue as to what it is?
>
>Margaret

Chinese or Napa cabbage? (They are frequently labelled as if they are the
same, and I can't remember which is which.) Light green, rather oblong
rather than round, heavy ribbing that is whiter than the very curly edges.
Has a texture somewaht waterier than regular cabbage, but stiffer than
lettuce. not the usual peppery taste of cabbage either.

Have you tried cooking it? does is soften like cabbage, or collapse like
lettuce?

'Lainie
-off for a day with Birthday Girl- taking her to the courthouse to register
to vote! (and I'd rather she was voting than many peopel I know...)