[Sca-cooks] OT, OOP--'Full Serve' in Oregon

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Wed Jul 3 01:03:07 PDT 2002

At 12:30 AM 7/3/02 -0500, Stefan wrote:
>Lainie said:
>
>> What I
>> do resent is that most of the stations now require you to get out of the
>> car and go inside to pay, frequently waiting in line behind some guy with a
>> bladder-buster drink, two hot dogs, and a carton of cigarettes. So do I
>> leave the kids in the car? What about pets? And when it's raining?
>
>Huh? Are you saying that you don't have pumps up there where you can
>pay at the pump with your credit card? I thought those were pretty
>widespread these days.

Some of them do. Not all. And you are assuming that I have a credit card,
which I don't anymore

And Amanda said:

>Or, if you gotta have someone PUMP yer gas.....they orta have someone ready
>to take yer money right there....and provide change too. I mean, it is FULL
>service, after all!

Well, that would be nice, but no, it isn't Full Service. Those signs say
Mini Serve. They are required to pump the gas, not to clean the windscreen,
check oil, tires, nuthin.

I drive a diesel (82 Volvo 240 Wagon. Her name is Zippy. She gets about 30
mpg so don't diss her.) so I frequently end up getting my fuel at truck
stops. Those guys are really busy, and I usually want a soda anyway (but
NEVER eat a sandwich from the cooler at a truck stop. Trust me on this.) so
I don't mind so much. Well... but the ones I do mind are the gas/minimart
stations where the guy stands there and holds up the shelter supports and
watches to make sure Zippy doesn't run away while I go listen to the clerk
inside yell "Number 9- number 9?" repeatedly, ignoring the rest of us,
until someone suddenly says "Oh! That's me! I was holding my ticket upside
down! heh heh..." In the meantime the guy with the ice cream is standing in
a puddle, the clerks are still arguing over whether they can make change
for a $50 (Sign above register says "No $50 or $100 bills."), the cars are
lined up outside four deep, the hot dogs are not getting any younger, and I
have been standing next to the Twinkies long enough that the fat molecules
have leaked out through the plastic and are attaching themsleves to my
thighs and I can't run because I'll lose my place in line! AAAAAAAARGH!!!

So Olwen, is that enough food content for you? :-D) :-D)

'Lainie